Produced by the United States Mint, the Barber Half Dollar was minted from 1892-1915 until it was replaced by the Walking Liberty Half Dollar in 1916.
Designed by Charles E. Barber, the reverse design is based on the Great Seal of the United States. A heraldic eagle is pictured with a banner in its beak that reads E PLURIBUS UNUM, meaning ‘Out of Many, One.’ It is clasping 13 arrows in its sinister talon and an olive branch in its dexter talon, representing war and peace. UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and HALF DOLLAR are additionally inscribed.
The obverse, also designed by Barber, features a profile portrait of Lady Liberty. IN GOD WE TRUST, the minting date and thirteen stars encircle the engraving.